Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Why did we start My City Artisans?
A little bit about myself….

I just committed to my partners and friends to take over the blog..so the first thing I would like to do is to introduce myself. 
Despite having formal training in something far from creative, like law (in Venezuela)…I have always been a

.
creative person. I have always found comfort, pleasure and joy when I am creating.
To me Arts and Crafts are two different levels but artists and craft lovers share some of the same pleasure where “create” is the main goal.
My favorite Art medium and Crafts.
Art medium= Clay…I absolute love Clay. Just plain old clay…. I took “human figure” and “sculpture” in Venezuela where I am from. And I could spend 7 hours straight working on a piece and of course it would not even be finished for days. (This passion is temporarily on hold…)
Craft= I also love crafts…. I used to think….oh I can do that! referring to so many projects like a piece of jewelry for example… sure enough I bought all sorts of jewelry tools, beads, books, magazines, and learnt to do it…loved it! but soon after I would see a sweater and here we go again needles, yarn…



That way I have learnt to knit, crochet, sew..(ok maybe not sewing that was more difficult) but I did make pajamas for my kids for two Christmas, made cushions, sew hems,simple things but never mastered it. (Not yet at least).

I would make my own Cards using quilling or scrap booking (not my forte!). For the cakes I have worked with fondant. I have tried metal work with Estaño;

My daughter has a huge collections of bows made by me. I love that she loves them…

Until this day I am still the same.. I cannot see a craft because I need to give it a try…the only difference is that now with 4 kids, a husband, a dog and a website finding the time it is always a challenge.

I am still working on remodeling my daughter’s dollhouse. The next craft that I am dying to learn is feltting…

I am always on the look for recycled or re purposed crafts…

One thing I have learnt from all of this is that even it might look simple..every craft it is also an art, taking the craft to a next level it is not an easy task.

Main influence

I think it’s all my grandmother’s fault…she was exactly the same way, so is my mother.

My mom still have dresses made by my grandmother, she has her paintings, sculpted roses out of a porcelain…

My mother…I would need a blog just for her…She was the one who encouraged me, and taught me every single craft…she would make our dresses when we were little…beautiful smock dresses…The ornaments on our Christmas tree were all bucilla felt ornaments that I now display and treasure like one of my main possessions.. jewelry, you name it.

And now my daughter only 8 is following the same steps….

Why did we start My City Artisans..

A friend of mine approached me about starting a website. We started talking about the pros and cons of starting an e business and we both agreed that it would be perfect for us…we then conviced another friend. We were clear that it had to be something we were passionate about. So for us it was just like chefs or food lovers would open a restaurant despite the fact that there are millions already. It only make sense to work on something you love…So the adventure began……….

.

No comments:

Post a Comment